Tuesday, January 16, 2007

In Leicester, sort of

I had to wrangle the suitcase again today. I've grown to hate my suitcase and carry-on bag. They're so heavy and cumbersome. And English trains don't offer wide aisles for these big bags. I had to perform odd contortions of my body in a tiny aisle with a line of people waiting just to get the suitcase to fit in a seat. Then I had to squeeze past that seat and sit for an hour and a half with my carry-on, purse and a smaller bag in my lap, all while listening to small children nearby who wouldn't know the meaning of the word quiet if it came up to them and introduced itself. When they got off, some kid gets on the train, listening to the most annoying club music on his ipod loud enough for the entire car to hear. However, despite that, the English countryside really is as beautiful as everyone makes it out to be. It was a scenic trip.

Thankfully, I arrived in Leicester fairly quickly. After the horror that was my restless and uncomfortable plane trip over here, I wasn't ready to deal with a long trip. And thank God, baby Jesus, and any other deity listening, the station had an elevator to the ground level, or I'd be hating the suitcase even more right now. I found a cab right away, and we take off, but he's not sure where the motel is. After driving around for a bit, I figure out why. It's not in Leicester. Apparently Leicester Forest East is a bit outside of Leicester. The city listed on the address is Leicester, but apparently it's still not Leicester. So I end up at what is essentially a glorified rest stop on the M1. My room looks out on a BP petrol station and convienence store. But I will say this, the staff is certainly friendlier than at the Thistle Kensington Palace, the bed is much more comfortable, and the internet working here. I'll have to take a cab to the university tomorrow because there's no public transit out this far, but that's okay. I'll finally be able to unpack the monstrosity. I've been living out of suitcases, bags, and boxes for the last month. It's time to settle somewhere. And from what I could see in the cab, Leicester looks like a pretty nice place to be. I'll try to take some pics and post them tomorrow.

No comments: