Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Book Review: Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron (Shades of Grey, #1) Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron by Jasper Fforde

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I'm a big fan of Jasper Fforde's other work, and Shades of Grey is certainly no exception.  The world he creates here is simply fascinating--everyone is colorblind in a sense.  All of society and culture is centered around color, and this has created a kind of dystopia where the people live in ignorance of the past. Thus, their world is quite a bit different from ours.  I will say that at times the book can be a bit confusing, particularly when trying to figure out certain terminology the characters use or practices that they do.  However, for me, trying to figure all of that out is part of the fun of reading the book.

I will say that I didn't like Shades of Grey as much as Fforde's Thursday Next series, but I think that's because I'm total literature nerd so I really appreciate Thursday's world. However Shades of Grey is still a great book, and I definitely plan to reread it.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: