Saturday, February 17, 2007

A little bit of culture

I travelled to London on Thursday to see Patrick Stewart perform in Antony and Cleopatra. It was one of those Oh my God moments. He was amazing, and I don't just say that because I'm a huge trekkie. I did have a trekkie moment at the beginning of the play when I marvelled at being in the same room as the man who played Captain Picard. I mean I couldn't divorce myself completely, I've loved Star Trek for way too long. It really was a dream come true for me to see him perform.

Everyone in the play was incredible though, so--no suprise--it was a production of the Royal Shakespeare Company. Antony and Cleopatra is part of the Complete Works festival they've been holding for the last year (I bet their staging of Titus Andronicus was really cool). I've been gushing about this for the past three days. I can't say enough how amazing it was, as anyone I've talked to since Thursday has seen full well. It is by far, my favorite England experience.

And who am I kidding--it wouldn't have been nearly as exciting without Patrick Stewart. I'm such a trekkie nerd. I'm going next month to see him as Prospero in The Tempest. We're also travelling to Stratford to see Ian Mckellan as King Lear. I bet that will be a really really great performance.

Feel free to be jealous of me now.

2 comments:

Rafia! said...

I am retroactively jealous! LLAP!

Barbi said...

He was so good, it's worth it to be retroactively jealous. He was just as good when I saw him The Tempest. I was nerding out the whole time.